What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

Advice need re: repainting outdoor objects

kanaloa

I have a knock-off version of Design Toscano's Kanaloa scuptural table I bought a few years ago. Though subdued, I wasn't a fan of the color on it, but paying $30 from Ollies Bargain Outlet for one versus $165 for the nicely faux-wood painted original? No brainer.

So this guy's been out in the elements and needs some touching up.

repaint me.jpg

Any tips on good outdoor paints for resin objects? Any sealers or varnishes to consider?

Also, has anybody ever stripped and repainted any similar garden decorations?

Stripping paint is no fun on textured objects, particularly resin. You'll be relying on chemicals rather than sanding and there's no easy way to tell whether they'll degrade the resin or not (and they're always a mess, regardless). What I'd consider is looking into outdoor-rated acrylic paints. Thin it a littls so it doesn't glom on super-thick and do a base coat in whatever color you want. Then get a darker color and do a wash/wipe to fix in those grooves and enhance the texture. If you really want to push it to the limit, get a third, related color and tackle highlights with a dry brush technique. Spray the whole thing down with a UV resistant topcoat and you should be good for several years. If you keep the acrylic paint relatively thin, you can repeat the process for decades before it starts getting that "thick layers of paint" look.

Stripping paint is no fun on textured objects, particularly resin. You'll be relying on chemicals rather than sanding and there's no easy way to tell whether they'll degrade the resin or not (and they're always a mess, regardless). What I'd consider is looking into outdoor-rated acrylic paints. Thin it a littls so it doesn't glom on super-thick and do a base coat in whatever color you want. Then get a darker color and do a wash/wipe to fix in those grooves and enhance the texture. If you really want to push it to the limit, get a third, related color and tackle highlights with a dry brush technique. Spray the whole thing down with a UV resistant topcoat and you should be good for several years. If you keep the acrylic paint relatively thin, you can repeat the process for decades before it starts getting that "thick layers of paint" look.

Yup. I had no idea where to start with stripping. The body is fine, but the table top is rough and the paint or finish largely eaten away.

Thanks for the tip re: the paints. Looks like the local Hobby Lobby has some small jars of outdoor patio acrylics. I didn't even think to look when I was there last weekend.

I also found this good write-up on protecting outdoor resin statues - https://homeguides.sfgate.com/protectant-used-stop-resin-statues-fading-94618.html

Back