Day 288. Gilligan’s Island

Imagine a television show set entirely on a deserted tropical island. Well, after the introduction, where a 3-hour cruise hits a storm at sea and shipwrecks in paradise. This was the premise of Gilligan’s Island, a very popular sitcom from the 1960s. The ship’s skipper, first mate, and five passengers set sail for weekly hijinx, featuring lots of bamboo and coconut contraptions. This was part of the influential television of my Gen-X youth. Ginger or Marianne?

BA39187D-2D6C-4811-B1A9-78A66C1D5B39.jpeg

Reactions: Kahikina

Kahikina

Staff member
I used to watch this everyday after school. It's funny when you look back, that island got visited by a large amount of people, but the poor castaways could never get a break and get off the island. Fun fact: I have a pic of the group signed by Bob Denver.

Reactions: andypanda

Chicago Jake

Gilligan's Island was one of my favorite TV shows growing up. I never thought about it as being in the Tiki-verse, but I guess it actually is.

The Professor was my role model in my youth. Even more so than Scotty from Star Trek, and I loved Scotty. That dude could build anything! He is a large part of why I became an engineer. And I am proud that I am now a professor myself. Roy Hinkley would be proud!

Also, one of the greatest days of my life was actually meeting Alan Hale Jr. (The Skipper) at a bar in suburban Chicago back in the eighties, and he actually bought me and my buddies a pitcher of beer! He even called me "Little Buddy."

PS - Mary Ann all the way. Ginger was a bimbo.