What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

Easter Sour

Since its Easter Sunday lets go with a Classic Bourbon Tiki drink.

Easter Sour:
Source: Beachbum Berry's Grog Log: original recipe by Trader Vic

Juice of 1/2 Orange
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1/4 Oz Orgeat Syrup
2 oz of Bourbon or Rye

Served in a double old fashion glass. Filled with crushed ice and one segment of each of the spent orange and lemon shells.

Happy Easter all!

??

Sorry I forgot the 1/4 oz Rock candy Syrup.

Since its Easter Sunday lets go with a Classic Bourbon Tiki drink.

Easter Sour:
Source: Beachbum Berry's Grog Log: original recipe by Trader Vic

Juice of 1/2 Orange
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1/4 Oz Orgeat Syrup
1/4 Oz Rock Candy Syrup.
2 oz of Bourbon or Rye

Served in a double old fashion glass. Filled with crushed ice and one segment of each of the spent orange and lemon shells.

Rock Candy Syrup is a sweeter, thicker version of simple syrup.
It’s made from 2 parts sugar, 1 part water, brought to a boil, lowered to a simmer and simmered for 5 minutes, then removed from the heat and allowed to cool.

Happy Easter all!

??

I saw an article on how to make your own rock candy syrup. If I remember correctly, it's like super saturated simple syrup. You keep adding sugar to the water until it won't dissolve anymore. If you place a stick or straw in the liquid, when it starts cooling it grows off the straw like a stalagmite. I'll try to remember to find that read.... this tiki science stuff is very interesting.
o_O

This is one of those recipes I would think most folks would have all of the ingredients already on hand. I'll make a go of it one of these nights.
(edit, except for the rock candy syrup)

Ooops. Looks like a type-o has persisted. The drink is "Eastern Sour." The "n" got left off. (refer to page 39 of "Remixed")
I still say have one on Easter though!

Eastern Sour (Trader Vic via Beachbum Berry Remixed)
2 1/2 oz fresh orange juice
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
1/4 oz orgeat syrup
1/4 oz simple syrup
2 oz Bourbon or Rye

Shake well with plenty of crushed ice. Pour unstrained into a double old-fashioned glass or short stemmed goblet. Sink spent orange and lemon shells into drink.

There is also a Western Sour that I believe Steve Crane created.

Western Sour (Steve Crane, Kon-Tiki Restaurant circa 1950s from Beachbum Berry's Remixed)

1 oz white grapefruit juice
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz falernum
1/4 oz sugar syrup
2 oz Bourbon

Shake with ice cubes. Pour unstrained into an old-fashioned glass.

Back