What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

Fu Man Who?

iu

:ROFLMAO:

I have this mug too! I think I bought it at Psycho Suzie's in Minneapolis. Garnish looks really great on it too.

I've seen this mug, or a slight variation at a few bars. It seems to be very popular. If I had one, I would certainly add it to my "formal" mug collection.

I just wonder how Fu Man Chu became a popular subject for a Tiki Mug? Or even Cthulhu, for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em! I HAVE 'em! Just curious, though ...

Cthulhu_onGreen_07.jpg

The drink traditionally served in the Fu Man Chu mug certainly has an interesting back story that I'll probably get totally wrong. But the bottom line is that it's one of the only classic tiki drinks that actually seems to have originated in the south seas. :ROFLMAO:

As for the mug history, maybe it's in one of Sven's books, but his books suffer from a lack of indices. I've just assumed that some bar was serving a version of the Dr. Funk, saw the Fu Man Chu design in the Otagiri or Orchids restaurant supply catalogs and rolled with it as an appropriate vessel... both Funk and Fu being good doctors and all.

I also assume the design originated at Otagiri, but Orchids made the cheaper knock-off version which helped it to take off at tiki and Chinese restaurants all over the US, but I could be totally wrong.

Back