What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

Oceanic Arts Closing

I bid on two items but before the live auction started I was already over bid. The OA book tells a little about how the carvings were reproduced. They had a mechanical machine, in another building, that would reproduce carvings using the master carvings. I always thought they did this overseas.

Ahhh, the old "man behind the curtain" trick!

brilliant!

lol.

will dr oz GIF

I bid on two items but before the live auction started I was already over bid. The OA book tells a little about how the carvings were reproduced. They had a mechanical machine, in another building, that would reproduce carvings using the master carvings. I always thought they did this overseas.

That's interesting. I've only flipped through the auction book and haven't read anything yet. I wonder what happened to that amazing tiki carving machine?

I bid on stuff (especially the first day) and won a few items. Yes, prices were greatly above the estimates but I figured most of those estimates were going to be much lower than the actual prices paid. It was a once in a life time opportunity to own a few things that hadn't seen the light of day for decades. That being said some prices paid were absolutely staggering and made no sense....welcome to the world of auctions.

I bid on stuff (especially the first day) and won a few items. Yes, prices were greatly above the estimates but I figured most of those estimates were going to be much lower than the actual prices paid. It was a once in a life time opportunity to own a few things that hadn't seen the light of day for decades. That being said some prices paid were absolutely staggering and made no sense....welcome to the world of auctions.

There's a reason I never mentioned the OA auction to any sort of Disney person or in any type of Disney fanatic forum. First, most don't seem to know that so much of what they love about the Disney parks is OA's work. And second, because that fanbase is insane about throwing money at collectibles. I knew this auction would go sky high already. I had budgeted for crazy prices and could have snagged a few smaller items, but ended up declining to increase my bids after I pondered the 23% fee and unknown S&A costs. The books though were well worth it.

Back