What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

Oceanic Arts Closing

This is a big loss for the Tiki community. I hope someone opens a new store. Where else will we get all those cool tiki items?

That book is so expensive, but so tempting. I guess I can justify it by adding up the total cost of lights and carvings that were on my 2022 "to buy" list and applying that total to the book order. I am kicking myself for dragging my feet on my order.

I have to wonder what will happen to all of the items Oceanic Arts still has in their warehouse. Considering Lagoon of Mystery's footage from just a few months ago, they've got to have a ton of items and artwork still on their shelves even after completing all open orders.

Sigh. I pre-ordered an unsigned copy. Pricey, but I know they'll likely fetch super ridiculous prices and be unobtainable in the futre and I'll regret not snagging one when I had the chance.

Re-reading the gallery site, it is just me or does it sound sort of like the gallery may be auctioning off Oceanic Arts' remaining stock in the Spring?

Also, I know LeRoy Schmaltz was a carving machine, but wasn't the only guy producing everything? Or was he?

Sigh. I pre-ordered an unsigned copy. Pricey, but I know they'll likely fetch super ridiculous prices and be unobtainable in the futre and I'll regret not snagging one when I had the chance.

Re-reading the gallery site, it is just me or does it sound sort of like the gallery may be auctioning off Oceanic Arts' remaining stock in the Spring?

Also, I know LeRoy Schmaltz was a carving machine, but wasn't the only guy producing everything? Or was he?

Good questions... I would have loved to get one of his carvings.

If you're in southern California, Peekaboo Galleries' Oceanic Arts celebration will be held throughout April at the OA warehouse in Whittier. General sales look like they're open already.

https://www.peekaboogallery.com/aloha-oa/

ALOHA, OA! offerings include an immersive art exhibition transporting guests on a tropical adventure through OA’s history & artifacts, presentations and panels by a host of Tiki & PolyPop luminaries, music from the best of the best of Southern California’s Tiki/Exotica bands & DJ’s, authentic Polynesian dancers, wild theatrical performances harkening back to another era, multiple cocktail bars hosted by your favorite SoCal Tiki institutions, Polynesian food vendors, traditional Luau dinner, delicious Dole Whips, dancing and schmoozing till the wee hours and (if you can believe it) more to be announced!

4/2: "Oceanic Arts, Godfathers of Tiki" - Our opening celebration focuses on Bob, LeRoy & Oceanic Arts’ long history, immense impact, and lasting legacy on the Polynesian Pop Movement.

4/9: "The Tiki Revival" - The hugely popular Tiki Revival movement of the 1990’s through the present day, and how OA fits prominently into that history will be explored in this exciting and kinetic exotixtravaganza!

4/16: "Apocalypse Tiki: An Evening of The Tikis" - This final evening of celebration at OA is about the infamous theme park, “THE TIKIS”. We'll travel back in time with the family behind the park, a re-creation of THE TIKIS theatrical stage show, a traditional luau dinner and Oceanic Arts’ connection to it all! Includes a dinner luau show hosted by El Vez.

Had the chance to visit in the early 2000s. Went on a tiki roadtrip visiting tiki stops from Vegas to Palm Springs to San Diego, on up the coast to L.A., then back to Vegas. Got there about noon, ended up staying til closing. Great conversations with amazing people, at an iconic landmark. Great memories.1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

We are fairly new to the tiki scene, maybe 4-5 years. We had some friends who were making a road trip up to Oceanic Arts and asked who wanted to come along. Yes please! We were excited to get the chance to visit this amazing landmark in polynesian pop history! This was in February 2020. A few weeks later everything was shut down due to Covid. We made it by the skin of our teeth and feel blessed to have had that experience.

We visited in July. Bob kept apologizing for the sparse selection (I was overwhelmed by how much was there). We talked about the book but we were in a tiny rental car so I only bought a few small items. Had we known they were going to close shop, I'd have bought some big display pieces (well, maybe one) and figured out how to get it home later.

We visited in July. Bob kept apologizing for the sparse selection (I was overwhelmed by how much was there). We talked about the book but we were in a tiny rental car so I only bought a few small items. Had we known they were going to close shop, I'd have bought some big display pieces (well, maybe one) and figured out how to get it home later.
They could ship anything, no matter the size!

That book is so expensive, but so tempting. I guess I can justify it by adding up the total cost of lights and carvings that were on my 2022 "to buy" list and applying that total to the book order. I am kicking myself for dragging my feet on my order.

I have to wonder what will happen to all of the items Oceanic Arts still has in their warehouse. Considering Lagoon of Mystery's footage from just a few months ago, they've got to have a ton of items and artwork still on their shelves even after completing all open orders.
The book is worth every penny. We at the KSC have seen it and we are not surprised that it isn't another $100. You will not be disappointed.

Back