What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

Sippin’ Santa 2021 Location Map

I've never heard of it, either. And there are NO locations near me ...

... probably why I've never heard of it. If anyone goes, take pictures and report back. I'm very curious about this!

There's a location a mile from my house! I've driven past it, and it doesn't look very Tiki from the outside. I'll try to check it out and snag some pictures.

After looking at the site and watching the video, I'm still not really sure what it is. I assume special Christmas cocktail(s) an maybe Santa mugs? Worth it if I can actually get into Archipelago's back bar which is the only good commercial tiki space anywhere near me.

It's a celebration of the holidays with Tiki. Beachbum Berry creates a drink and it's served in a collectable "Santa mug" at limited locations. I've never been, but from my understanding, the mug collector's go crazy over it. I have noticed the bars chosen to serve are not necessarily full on Tiki, but do serve Tiki drinks. It's a nice way to try a new drink and grab a mug for the holidays.

Has anybody gone, yet? The wife seemed interested though it looks like we'll have to attend at a somewhat dull but very midly tiki-ish Thai place. Looks like there are several cocktails that are part of Sippin Santa so I'm interested in recommendations.

Also... gingerbread mix in the Sippin Santa cocktail? I'm very intrigued. Though I'm also very intrigued by ingredients in 4 of the other offered cocktails so my liver and bank account are gonna hurt.

Has anybody gone, yet? The wife seemed interested though it looks like we'll have to attend at a somewhat dull but very midly tiki-ish Thai place. Looks like there are several cocktails that are part of Sippin Santa so I'm interested in recommendations.

Also... gingerbread mix in the Sippin Santa cocktail? I'm very intrigued. Though I'm also very intrigued by ingredients in 4 of the other offered cocktails so my liver and bank account are gonna hurt.

None near me. Bummer

So glad to see 55 South in San Jose joining the list of Sippin' Santa locations in 2021 (and conveniently located across the street from a Miracle pop-up across the street).

The Christmas/Tiki themed pop-up has been gaining momentum over the past few years and is expanding to new locations. This year, downtown San Jose is in the mix thanks to 55 South who are hosting the pop-up for the first time (view menu). A cocktail bar and restaurant, 55 South had previously hosted monthly “tiki nights” that served as sort of gathering place for some South Bay locals who have been underserved for tiki for so long.

The 55 South team did a pretty good job with the decor. Quite festive and for sure plenty good for the first year to get everyone in the mood. Music was 70s-80s leaning Christmas music, so quite peppy.

Cocktails for Sippin’ Santa are developed in conjunction with Jeff “Beachbum” Berry (of Sippin’ Safari book fame). I had the Kris Kringle Colada, an excellent riff using Dark Jamaican Rum, Amaro, and Allspice, while Mrs. Mai Tai ventured away from her coconut sweet spot to try the Sippin’ Santa with Demerara rum and citrus. Unfortunately that one seemed to be lacking the “Gingerbread mix” that makes it a holiday favorite.

Nonetheless we had a great time and the bar was quite busy even at opening on a Sunday. I had the “Tiki Tacos” that were quite good, and Julie liked her Edamame Salad. The meetup was for members of the “South SF Bay Area Tiki Ohana” group on Facebook. If you’re a local, please join the group for more meetups and local info.

Back