Snacks and Nibbley-bits

• Aloha! Welcome to the Tiki Forum.
    We are glad you stopped by. We are a message forum that brings Tiki enthusiasts together on the web.
    Please register and join our free community today!

TikiFlamingo

So ... all these drinks are great (but not all at once) but I was wondering, what are your favorite eats when you're drinking those fruity, sweet drinks? I'd like to try something other than the familiar wings, chips, or potato skins.

Chicago Jake

Crab Rangoon is traditional. Supposedly invented at Trader Vic's.

Also, Polynesians are said to love Spam*. Maybe someone could develop a good Spam appetizer.

*allegedly because it tastes much like "long pig."

kanaloa

Unless we're holding a full-blown luau, just small salty/fatty things from the local Chinese restaurant's pupu menu: teri beef sticks, crab rangoons, pork hash, won tons, char siu, along with the usual chips/guac, hummus, and crudites.

As for a Spam appetizer? Where to start?

Spam fries are good- just slice into sticks and fry em till brown and crispy.

Spam Spread on fancy crackers is a gourmet experience everybody should try. Just call it Hawaiian pate.

Or a good Spam hash - cubed small with equally small potato cubes, stir-fried with small diced onion and bell peppers. Good with a teri & Kewpie mayo sauce, German curry ketchup, or even Japanese bulldog sauce.

Large cubes of Spam + chunked pineapple on skewers, grilled or broiled are delicious.

Spam and kim-chi fried rice is also a nice, easy to make and hearty side dish.

Spam musubi are delicious, but kind of a pain to make. Fortunately, we have a real Hawaiian restaurant nearby so I now only have to buy a few of his massive musubis and slice them into small pieces.

kanaloa

View attachment 609

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM!

Okay Big K … you have more knowledge about Spam snacks than Monty Python. (sounds good though!)

I love that skit. Sorry to spam your thread, but Jake said the magic word and I couldn't help myself. I never miss an opportunity to evangelize for Spam.

Jake, Spam spread used to be available in groceries right next to the cans of deviled ham spread and Vienna sausages. I haven't seen it in a while though. I can make it, but running Spam through the cheese grater is a slimy affair.

But seriously, crab rangoons are a great suggestion. Along with other Chinese restaurant pupus.

I'd really like to get a set up like this to bring back the feel of our long-gone local tiki bar:

pupugrill.jpg

Chicago Jake

.......Jake, Spam spread used to be available in groceries right next to the cans of deviled ham spread and Vienna sausages. I haven't seen it in a while though. I can make it, but running Spam through the cheese grater is a slimy affair......

Okay, inspired by your post, I did a little research. There are lots of online recipes for Spam Spread, mostly involving a food processor, Spam, hard boiled eggs, onions, pickles, and mayonnaise. I'll have to start experimenting.

Although I think I might bill it as something with a more appetizing name, like Hawaiian Hash or Caribbean Caviar or Poi Perfection.

Tangaroa

My dad used to make us spam and eggs on some sunday mornings. we loved it! (still do)

spam GIF

I love sushi. Spam I just never got the hang of. It's some kind of mystery meat pressed into a square shape. Put a Popsicle stick in it and carry it around with ya.

Pirate Seafood GIF by Long John Silver's