What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

Snacks and Nibbley-bits

TikiFlamingo

So ... all these drinks are great (but not all at once) but I was wondering, what are your favorite eats when you're drinking those fruity, sweet drinks? I'd like to try something other than the familiar wings, chips, or potato skins.

Crab Rangoon is traditional. Supposedly invented at Trader Vic's.

Also, Polynesians are said to love Spam*. Maybe someone could develop a good Spam appetizer.

*allegedly because it tastes much like "long pig."

Unless we're holding a full-blown luau, just small salty/fatty things from the local Chinese restaurant's pupu menu: teri beef sticks, crab rangoons, pork hash, won tons, char siu, along with the usual chips/guac, hummus, and crudites.

As for a Spam appetizer? Where to start?

Spam fries are good- just slice into sticks and fry em till brown and crispy.

Spam Spread on fancy crackers is a gourmet experience everybody should try. Just call it Hawaiian pate.

Or a good Spam hash - cubed small with equally small potato cubes, stir-fried with small diced onion and bell peppers. Good with a teri & Kewpie mayo sauce, German curry ketchup, or even Japanese bulldog sauce.

Large cubes of Spam + chunked pineapple on skewers, grilled or broiled are delicious.

Spam and kim-chi fried rice is also a nice, easy to make and hearty side dish.

Spam musubi are delicious, but kind of a pain to make. Fortunately, we have a real Hawaiian restaurant nearby so I now only have to buy a few of his massive musubis and slice them into small pieces.

View attachment 609

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM!

Okay Big K … you have more knowledge about Spam snacks than Monty Python. (sounds good though!)

I love that skit. Sorry to spam your thread, but Jake said the magic word and I couldn't help myself. I never miss an opportunity to evangelize for Spam.

Jake, Spam spread used to be available in groceries right next to the cans of deviled ham spread and Vienna sausages. I haven't seen it in a while though. I can make it, but running Spam through the cheese grater is a slimy affair.

But seriously, crab rangoons are a great suggestion. Along with other Chinese restaurant pupus.

I'd really like to get a set up like this to bring back the feel of our long-gone local tiki bar:

pupugrill.jpg

.......Jake, Spam spread used to be available in groceries right next to the cans of deviled ham spread and Vienna sausages. I haven't seen it in a while though. I can make it, but running Spam through the cheese grater is a slimy affair......

Okay, inspired by your post, I did a little research. There are lots of online recipes for Spam Spread, mostly involving a food processor, Spam, hard boiled eggs, onions, pickles, and mayonnaise. I'll have to start experimenting.

Although I think I might bill it as something with a more appetizing name, like Hawaiian Hash or Caribbean Caviar or Poi Perfection.

My dad used to make us spam and eggs on some sunday mornings. we loved it! (still do)

spam GIF

I love sushi. Spam I just never got the hang of. It's some kind of mystery meat pressed into a square shape. Put a Popsicle stick in it and carry it around with ya.

Pirate Seafood GIF by Long John Silver's

when we have parties in our home tiki bar..... (Lynn's Lanai Backyard Tiki Bar - Akron, OH).....

I often make a "Hawaiian Cole Slaw", Pulled Pork sammies with Grilled fresh pineapple, and yes SPAM!! I won over many Nay Sayers with Spam and Pineapple Teriyaki Skewers!!

Tropical Popcorn
The original recipe is from "Heemah" on Food.com. In parentheses is what I used for a 2 oz microwave popcorn package
6 quarts popped popcorn (about 8 cups)
3⁄4 cup butter (1/4 cup)
3⁄4 cup molasses (1/4 cup)
2 cups brown sugar (2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon salt (1/3 teaspoon, slightly less than 1/2)
1 teaspoon vanilla (1/3 teaspoon)
1 cup Spanish peanuts (a handful each of macadamia nuts and dried tropical fruits)
1 teaspoon baking soda (1/3 teaspoon)
Pre-heat oven to 250 deg.
Place butter in a medium pot, on medium heat.
Keep an eye on the butter and add the sugar, molasses, and salt to it as soon as its melted.
Bring the candy to a boil and stir and cook it only till the sugar melts and the butter blends in entirely - just a couple minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir the vanilla and peanuts into the candy.
Quickly add the baking soda and stir until it's well mixed. It foams to make a lighter, more delicate candy.
Pour the candy over the popcorn and toss until it's evenly coated.
Put the popcorn in the oven for 1 hour, tossing every 15 or 20 minutes.
Let it cool completely before breaking up and putting into an airtight container.

Attachments

• Popcorn.jpg
    Popcorn.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 2
Pineapple Puff Pastry - tropical and sophisticated yet simple.
#1 1/4 sheet of puff pastry dough. Cut along the red lines. A spoonful of mango preserves and chopped macadamia nuts
#2 A slice of canned pineapple on top, one corner folded in.
#3 All corners folded in, a cocktail cherry garnish in the center
#4 Bake at 400F for 15 minutes. I gave it a drizzle of chocolate because my wife thinks it's not a dessert without chocolate LOL It would have been good without it or maybe with a drizzle of passion fruit syrup. Serve with ice cream if desired.

Attachments

• Pineapple1.jpg
    Pineapple1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pineapple2.jpg
    Pineapple2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Pineapple3.jpg
    Pineapple3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Pineapple4.jpg
    Pineapple4.jpg