• Aloha! Welcome to the Tiki Forum.
    We are glad you stopped by. We are a message forum that brings Tiki enthusiasts together on the web.
    Please register and join our free community today!

The Lani Honi - a slight variation

kanaloa

Due to a neighbor moving overseas and leaving his rather strange liquor collection behind, I ended up with several bottles I just stare at and make me scratch my head.

One is a bottle of Dom Benedictine B&B, a blend of Benedictine and brandy, so I swapped it in to replace the pure Benedictine in a Loni Honi. And it turned out really, really well. I think the relative dryness of the B&B really turned this into a great hot weather sipper, really bringing out the honey notes.

Normally shaken with ice cubes and strained into a wine goblet, topped off with crushed ice. I found that small stemless wine glasses worked perfectly.

1.5 oz Benedictine (or B&B if you want to try this version)
1 oz light rum (I used Plantation 3 Star)
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

Technically a tiki drink per Beachbum Berry, this slight variation really reminded me of a slightly-rummy mead. A very quick and simple crowd pleaser. With 3 ounces of >80 abv booze, this one will sneak up on you, too, since it's a really easy sipper.

That sounds good! I love the sneaky drinks! Now I'm curious as to what else he left for you to experiment with ...?

kanaloa

A bunch of random vodkas, a couple crusty bottles of brandy and vermouth, a sambuca, some Crown. Pretty much all the things we don't regularly use (and he probably didn't either), but they round out our well a bit.

The best score out of the lot was a bottle of Screech which was already pretty low and we finished off that evening.

I know it's from the wrong random Canadian island, but I mixing Screech and Coke and wandering around my neighborhood channeling my inner Julian. If only I could regularly get bottles here in the US.

Due to a neighbor moving overseas and leaving his rather strange liquor collection behind, I ended up with several bottles I just stare at and make me scratch my head.

One is a bottle of Dom Benedictine B&B, a blend of Benedictine and brandy, so I swapped it in to replace the pure Benedictine in a Loni Honi. And it turned out really, really well. I think the relative dryness of the B&B really turned this into a great hot weather sipper, really bringing out the honey notes.

Normally shaken with ice cubes and strained into a wine goblet, topped off with crushed ice. I found that small stemless wine glasses worked perfectly.

1.5 oz Benedictine (or B&B if you want to try this version)
1 oz light rum (I used Plantation 3 Star)
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

Technically a tiki drink per Beachbum Berry, this slight variation really reminded me of a slightly-rummy mead. A very quick and simple crowd pleaser. With 3 ounces of >80 abv booze, this one will sneak up on you, too, since it's a really easy sipper.

I've never had B&B before. It looks like I'm going shopping this weekend!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/y8Mz1yj13s3kI" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

kanaloa

I had never had it either before mixing it into the lani honi. After using it in the cocktail, I tried it on the rocks and really enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy it.

Top Bottom