What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

A Moment of Tiki

I'm back like a bad penny! Episode 45 of A Moment of Tiki is now live on the interwebz for your viewing pleasure. This time out, I take a piece of Samoan tapa cloth I rescued from an estate sale and use it to create a drum-style hanging lamp for my indoor tiki space. Let me know what you think!

I appreciate your style of teaching. :geek:

This will save me much angst when I attempt my lamp build. Thank you for your excellent videos!

Muchas gracias, Kahikina! Just by going through the process I've come up with a number of ways to streamline the process the next time I attempt a build like this. Since the lamp is light weight and not subject to stress, those six initial braces are definite overkill. At least half could be eliminated with no consequence (unless you want your lamp to ride out a hurricane, in which case it'll probably be intact if you manage to find it after...)

Episode 46 of A Moment of Tiki is now live on the YouTubes! This time out, I discuss harvesting your own bamboo, the difference between torching green and dry culms, and most importantly, how to ensure you don't suffer an infestation of bamboo mites! Let me know what you think!

Episode 47 of A Moment of Tiki is now live on the YouTubes! This time out, I attempt what everyone else has far too much sense to attempt, that is... a Kingston Negroni Shootout! What uber-funky overproof Jamaican rum makes for the best version of this Negroni riff? Watch and find out. FOR SCIENCE!

As always Jamie, nice job! I appreciate anyone that can articulate the subtle differences in different ingredients. (and sometimes not so subtle!)

Thank you for sharing!

As always Jamie, nice job! I appreciate anyone that can articulate the subtle differences in different ingredients. (and sometimes not so subtle!)
Thanks! And yeah, in this instance the differences were nowhere near subtle! To be honest, going in I kinda expected these to all be slight variations off the mean. That is not the case at all. Each rum resulted in a wildly different cocktail.

Episode 48 of A Moment of Tiki is now live on the YouTubes! This episode is all about making Japanese glass fish float lights. An essential element of any immersive tiki space, these are incredibly intimidating for the DIYer, but surprisingly simple (albeit incredibly time-consuming) to make:

Episode 49 of A Moment of Tiki is now live. This time out, I carve some holiday ornaments in the style of Vanuatu Slit Drums. And I offer up three to win on various platforms. Enter if you are of a mind to!

Have I really reached episode 50 with A Moment of Tiki? Wow! It's hard to believe but here we are! The episode title "How to Build a Home Tiki Bar" may seem a bit pretentious, but makes sense in the context of the episode. Those of you who've followed my build-along thread on my blog have already seen much of what's included in this episode, but for those just wanting a more dynamic walk-through of the Lagoon of Mystery, here's your chance to see some before and after comparisons. Plus a little behind the scenes storytelling.

A Moment of Tiki Episode 50

Wow! Nice job as always! It was great hearing how the Lagoon progressed. -and a big thumbs up for the backstory on how the name came to be. (y)

Mahalo Jayme!

Wow! Nice job as always! It was great hearing how the Lagoon progressed. -and a big thumbs up for the backstory on how the name came to be. (y)

Mahalo Jayme!
Thanks Kahikina! I've had a number of folks ask for a virtual tour of my space, but that alone seemed self-indulgent. Sharing before and after shots, and what went into the build at various points, seemed like an approach that had value. Newcomers to tiki see some of these amazing home bars and think they have no chance to build something as cool, so why bother? I wanted to try and dispel that idea--no tiki bar is built in a day. Progress on a build may seem frustratingly slow, but incremental progress is still progress and it's amazing how quickly it all adds up.
As for the name, heh, I've always wondered how many people watch to the end. I don't to bloopers every episode like Spike does, so it's always a surprise when I add something after the credits.

A Moment of Tiki episode 51 "Krypton Bar Rescue" may now be found on the YouTubes. Almost two years ago I acquired a Krypton Bar off Craig's List. A relic of the early years of the tiki revival, it was suffering from significant neglect. I wanted to see if I could bring it back to its former glory. This is what I wrought.

Amazing bar rescue Prikli Pear, the new bamboo turned out great! The addition of the new lighting really made the Krypton into a Tiki Bar 2.0.

Really enjoy the "how to" videos, keep 'em coming!

Another nice job. Thanks Jayme!

Awesome Great Job GIF by The Voice

Episode 52, "La-La-Lauhala," may now be found on the YouTubes. This time out I wrestle with lauhala matting for the first time ever, believe it or not, and also attempt to power carve some spiral pattern trim. Stuff also catches on fire, so that's something.

That matting is a bear to work with. I used the same techniques you mentioned in your video. I was surprised you did that solo. It was helpful to have an extra set of hands to hold the matting in place when securing to the wall. Nice job! And BTW.... a second space? You are living the dream my friend.

Keep up the great work!

Back