What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

A Moment of Tiki

Episode 59 of A Moment of Tiki is now live on the YouTubes! This time out, I carve Tiki Bob! Love him or hate him, Tiki Bob was the first bespoke mascot of any tiki establishment and when the last Tiki Bob bar/restaurant closed in the 1970, Bob himself escaped into the public domain where artists and carvers have been creatively expressing their own interpretations of him ever since.

Two Tiki Bobs in the same episode? Those were brilliant! Nice job.

I was always under the impression that all of the wood carvers used those rotary style wheels. (or chainsaws) Now that I see you using a bur style bit with excellent results gives me hope to someday tackle a Tiki. Your channel is becoming a go to stop for all projects Tiki.

Thank you for sharing!

Waynes World Thumbs Up GIF

I was always under the impression that all of the wood carvers used those rotary style wheels. (or chainsaws) Now that I see you using a bur style bit with excellent results gives me hope to someday tackle a Tiki. Your channel is becoming a go to stop for all projects Tiki.

Thanks for the kind words! I do have an angle grinder with a coarse shaping wheel from Kutzall that I use on some projects. Those, like chainsaws, have specific uses and techniques and aren't a one-size-fits-all kind of tool. I tend to want to maintain more control in my carves as this stage of my development so opt for the die grinder more often than not. Die grinders weren't originally intended for wood carving but handle that job quite nicely. They're like a Dremel on steroids. Yes, they're unwieldy but you get used to it after a while. I'm hardly an expert but I'm slowly improving my skill and knowledge base.

Lights? Yes please! I always wanted to try one of these. Thanks for the tutorial!
Glad you found it of use, Tangaroa! Myself, I'm toying with the idea of making some hanging swag lamps out of these by connecting them big-end-to-big-end and another small-end-to-small-end. But I have other projects demanding my attention now so I'm not sure when, if ever, I'll get to those.

Episode 61 of A Moment of Tiki is now live on the YouTubes! This time out I restore a WHALING HARPOON I lucked into at an estate sale! Now, whaling harpoons aren't in and of themselves tiki, but thanks to Herman Melville they are certainly tiki-adjacent.

Episode 62 of A Moment of Tiki may be found on the YouTubes! This time out I power carve the distinctive tiki from the old Hawaiian Eye TV series... AND also include a GIVEAWAY for the holiday season! Check out the episode to find out how to enter.

That turned out great! Looks just like the original! If you watch the series Hawaiian Eye, whenever Robert Conrad walks into the room he taps the idol on the head. (good luck ritual?)

Always entertaining to see your projects come to life. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Kahikina! My understanding is that the original tiki was roughly 4' tall. Mine is about 3' tall, so that'd make it a 75% replica. I read somewhere that after the series ended one of the folks involved with the show took it to a home they had in Hawaii. It was displayed outside and slowly rotted away over the years. Pity. Hopefully mine lasts a bit longer.

Happy new year! We're starting off 2024 with a brand-spankin' new installment of A Moment of Tiki. In episode 63, I up the retro cool content of the show considerably by sitting down with artist Nathanael Ross Smith, discussing his love of tiki, monster movies, noir and all things mid century and how those elements influence his work.

Episode 64 of A Moment of Tiki may now be found on the YouTubes. This time out I build an iconic shell light, one of the signature pieces of tiki decor. It was a learning experience, as I'd neither worked with shells nor resin prior to this. I think (hope?) you'll like it!

Back