What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

Tonight’s Drink …

Okay … I’m a Martini man. I freely admit it. Traditional, original, whatever. I also like Absynth. A lot. So imagine my interest when I come across a recipe for an Absynth Martini! (Thank you Pinterest)

Make your Martini as you usually do … then ad 1/4oz (or less!) of Absynth. Amazingly good. I’m sure it has something to do with the botanicals or booze fairies … I don’t know … I’ve had three and need a nap. If you don’t like it, throw it out and have a MaiTai. No one needs to know, and I won’t tell!

I love vodka martinis. 1 olive, 1 cocktail onion. (gently shaken is ok)

Dog Alcohol GIF

Ahhh … the cocktail onion. So yummy and misunderstood! The Gimlet in a Nick & Nora glass for YOUR visual enjoyment, and MY alchohology enjoyment!

1639854717187.jpeg

I don't know a lot of folks that are fans of the cocktail onion. I feel it's one of those garnishes that make the drink even better!

A cocktail onion is great in a martini. But in a Gimlet? Doesn't the sourness of the onion clash with the sweetness of the lime juice? I mean, it's your drink, drink it the way you like it by all means, but that seems counterintuitive to me.

Good catch, Jake, I meant Gibson. l‘d blame it on autocorrect, but heck … who would believe that? Time for another GIBSON !

Aaahhh, the Gibson. Of course. As they used to say on Saturday Night Live, "never mind!"

Speaking of garnishes, on my occasional skirmish into Wisconsin, I find that they like to garnish their martinis with pickled mushrooms up there. It's actually quite good, and I do it myself at home sometimes.

A little off topic, but I didn't think this was worthy of starting a new thread in General.

But these Roman bartenders have a strong flair game:

Makai Roma Instagram Video

I was supposed to visit the Makai in April 2020. And then tried for December 2020, and then April 2021. :cry: One day.

Looking for something new and different for tonight ... and easy to make. No one-off ingredients I'll never use again.

Any suggestions?

Looking for something new and different for tonight ... and easy to make. No one-off ingredients I'll never use again.

Any suggestions?

If you have a bottle of allspice dram around for other drinks, I've become a fan of the Jasper's Jamaican. Very quick and simple drink that uses things I always have at hand: gold Jamaican rum, allpsice dram, lime juice, and simple syrup. Shaken w/ ice.

Or a Derby Daquiri: just light rum, OJ, lime juice, and simple syrup. Blended with ice.

Both are in Beachbum Berry's Total Tiki app if you have it.

Although I question if it is truly a 'Tiki drink", this evening's libations will include "The Dark & Stormy". Refreshing, and easy drinking.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Mahalo

I've tried the dark and stormy. The person that made it used some very "gingery" ginger beer. Is that a word? lol. It just seemed to overpower the drink.

I haven't been able to post here in a while because I had hernia surgery and I can't DRINK for a while. Something about the way the meds interact with alcohol ... they weren't very specific, so I'm not sure if it counteracts the meds, or adds to the effect of the meds. They're very secretive about that fact for some reason. Anyway, in case you're inclined to ask, NO ... they wouldn't let me substitute Rum for Oxycodone. Bummer.

I've tried the dark and stormy. The person that made it used some very "gingery" ginger beer. Is that a word? lol. It just seemed to overpower the drink.

That's a good question. I don't actually know what a Dark & Stormy is supposed to taste like or how gingery it's supposed to be. I've always used strong, very gingery ginger ales (Reeds, Goslings, and Blenheim Hot). FWIW, I seem to recall the Gosling's Dark & Stormy cans were pretty gingery, but I haven't seen those in the liquor stores near me lately.

I haven't been able to post here in a while because I had hernia surgery and I can't DRINK for a while. Something about the way the meds interact with alcohol ... they weren't very specific, so I'm not sure if it counteracts the meds, or adds to the effect of the meds. They're very secretive about that fact for some reason. Anyway, in case you're inclined to ask, NO ... they wouldn't let me substitute Rum for Oxycodone. Bummer.

That's terrible. I hope you recover quickly. In the meantime, hopefully you have no sugar restrictions and can enjoy tropical mocktails.

Back