What's new
Tiki Forum

Aloha!
Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Join our Tiki Community today!

The Lani Honi - a slight variation

kanaloa

Due to a neighbor moving overseas and leaving his rather strange liquor collection behind, I ended up with several bottles I just stare at and make me scratch my head.

One is a bottle of Dom Benedictine B&B, a blend of Benedictine and brandy, so I swapped it in to replace the pure Benedictine in a Loni Honi. And it turned out really, really well. I think the relative dryness of the B&B really turned this into a great hot weather sipper, really bringing out the honey notes.

Normally shaken with ice cubes and strained into a wine goblet, topped off with crushed ice. I found that small stemless wine glasses worked perfectly.

1.5 oz Benedictine (or B&B if you want to try this version)
1 oz light rum (I used Plantation 3 Star)
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

Technically a tiki drink per Beachbum Berry, this slight variation really reminded me of a slightly-rummy mead. A very quick and simple crowd pleaser. With 3 ounces of >80 abv booze, this one will sneak up on you, too, since it's a really easy sipper.

That sounds good! I love the sneaky drinks! Now I'm curious as to what else he left for you to experiment with ...?

A bunch of random vodkas, a couple crusty bottles of brandy and vermouth, a sambuca, some Crown. Pretty much all the things we don't regularly use (and he probably didn't either), but they round out our well a bit.

The best score out of the lot was a bottle of Screech which was already pretty low and we finished off that evening.

I know it's from the wrong random Canadian island, but I mixing Screech and Coke and wandering around my neighborhood channeling my inner Julian. If only I could regularly get bottles here in the US.

Due to a neighbor moving overseas and leaving his rather strange liquor collection behind, I ended up with several bottles I just stare at and make me scratch my head.

One is a bottle of Dom Benedictine B&B, a blend of Benedictine and brandy, so I swapped it in to replace the pure Benedictine in a Loni Honi. And it turned out really, really well. I think the relative dryness of the B&B really turned this into a great hot weather sipper, really bringing out the honey notes.

Normally shaken with ice cubes and strained into a wine goblet, topped off with crushed ice. I found that small stemless wine glasses worked perfectly.

1.5 oz Benedictine (or B&B if you want to try this version)
1 oz light rum (I used Plantation 3 Star)
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

Technically a tiki drink per Beachbum Berry, this slight variation really reminded me of a slightly-rummy mead. A very quick and simple crowd pleaser. With 3 ounces of >80 abv booze, this one will sneak up on you, too, since it's a really easy sipper.

I've never had B&B before. It looks like I'm going shopping this weekend!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/y8Mz1yj13s3kI" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

I had never had it either before mixing it into the lani honi. After using it in the cocktail, I tried it on the rocks and really enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy it.

Back